Stroke can be described as an emergency medical condition that presents suddenly and one which requires immediate medical attention. One of the leading conditions in India that causes death and disability is due to stroke. Therefore, it is very important to keep informed of its conditions and symptoms which can lead to timely attention and treatment.
Stroke is a cardiovascular accident, wherein the supply of oxygen-rich blood to the brain is interrupted. A blockage in a blood vessel or a haemorrhage caused by a ruptured blood vessel could be the reason for the interruption. When brain cells start dying within minutes when they become deprived of oxygen.
A delay in stroke treatment could lead to disability or even cause death.
F.A.S.T. indicates the signs and symptoms that a person might exhibit when he or she might get attacked with stroke. F.A.S.T. is used to create its awareness.
F – drooping of FACE
A – inability to lift ARM
S – slurring of SPEECH, incoherence
T – TIME is of the essence
Diagnosis and Treatment of Stroke
As soon as the stroke patient reaches the hospital, there are certain procedures that will definitely be followed:
- A physical examination and blood tests are the initial procedures of the diagnosis.
- The exact type of stroke and location of the arterial bleed or blockage are determined by Imaging tests such as CT.
- Imaging techniques such as the MRI helps in determining the extent of damage to the brain tissue.
- Other tests in specialised conditions may be recommended by the expert neurologists at our hospital. For example, an echocardiography guided ultrasound may be recommended, if the stroke seems to have been caused by an embolism.
Minimizing brain damage and restoring blood flow to the brain is the primary goal of a stroke treatment.
- Some of the best stroke treatment hospitals in India inject TPA (tissue plasminogen activator), a drug that aids in breaking down blood clots within 3 hours of an ischemic clot.
- Warfarin or aspirin which are blood thinners may be administered.
- Surgery might be a treatment option to restoration. Surgical treatment options are preferred for hemorrhagic stroke.
The risk and disability of stroke can be greatly reduced by the early treatment of stroke. Apart from this, the patient might require rehabilitation aid such as speech therapy, physical and occupational therapy and even counselling for a prescribed period. It is an important role that the doctors, nurses, and physiotherapists play during this recovery and rehabilitation phase.